Wednesday, January 7, 2009

1/7 - 4pm - You've Been Warned... Cold Air Coming!

The snow showers were pretty to look at today, but they've not amounted to anything more than a sight to see. Temperatures have hovered near the 34 degree mark, so no accumulation occurred and none was really expected. A small area of snow showers is moving through Iowa and Missouri, with the possibility of coming through later tonight if they hold together. Temperatures will hold below freezing tonight, but don't expect more than a dusting if anything sticks.

Any snow should be out of here by early tomorrow morning at the very latest. Highs will be near 40 for the balance of the week, with rain expected on Friday night into Saturday.

Now... for more interesting things. I'm warning you now, because I've been seeing this on all the models and it looks like its going to happen sooner rather than later. It's going to get very, very COLD next week after a front comes through Monday. I'm talking temperatures not getting above 30 as a high for a week or more starting on Tuesday. It's been a very long time since I've seen air this cold on the models coming down to our neck of the woods, so be prepared. Low temperatures will assuredly sink to single digits with this arctic blast, so keep those gloves handy when you're out and about next week.

Snow prospects for next week are unknown at this point. The GFS have been inconsistent with a system coming through Tuesday and Wednesday, but we will be cold enough for snow at least. The fact that we've at least a little moisture on there for next week is a good sign for some snow because the GFS has been underestimating moisture amounts in the medium and long range as of late. I'll keep an eye on this to see if anything changes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Clipper next Wednesday looks promising! With the air that cold 15 to 1 ratios or better a good bet. 1/4 of liquid could get us a solid 4".
The deep trough pattern isn't really great for BIG snows, but we might end up with a few smaller snows over the course of the next 1 to 2 weeks.

Any bets on below zero temps? Would be the first time in quite a few years.

Ryan Hoke said...

Yeah... Gotta love those 15:1 or even 20:1 ratios in this cold air. I like the idea of the frequent small snows because it's less risky than missing a big storm in one shot.

If we get 2+ inches of snow next week, we'll be 5 below sometime before the weekend. Not a sure bet, but it's worth a shot!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I heard about your site back in 2008 when I thought about entering the Weather Channel Video Contest, and I have to say,you've made a pretty good site, and a nice blog too.

I have a website and I've got several different links to your site and blog, and I was wondering if you would look at it, and if you like it and want to, put a link to it on your blog.
The site is: http://suncoaststormwatch.weebly.com

I don't have many blog posts yet but feel free to look at some of them if you'd like, and I just started the weekly forecast a few weeks ago so I'm still working on figuring out how I want to do it.

Thanks,
Suncoaststormwatch Webmaster

Ryan Hoke said...

Nice blog!