Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1/27 - 9:10pm - Everything is on Track

Not much has changed since I posted the video update earlier. We're holding just below freezing here in Louisville and I think we could go up to 33, but no more. This won't hurt our snow chances tomorrow and really won't help the nasty freezing rain situation tonight because the rain will still accumulate on already icy surfaces. My previous warning about power outages still applies. Reports of tree limbs snapping around the area are becoming more numerous as the night wears on. Roads should be OK until early tomorrow morning, when the fun begins.

I think we'll get 3-4" of snow by mid-morning tomorrow, but there could be more. The 0z NAM hints that the 0 degree line at 85omb will be east when we get a nice slug of precipitation totaling .5" to .7" of liquid. Do the 10:1 conversion and you've got 5 to 7" of snow. I'm not saying that there will be 5 to 7" of snow tomorrow, but we certainly could get more if the warm air hightails it out of here earlier than expected (which is around 5am at the moment).

Since JCPS is closed, I'll be here late tonight to report any changes in the forecast.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan. What is the chance of getting 5-7 inches. You know how NWS and others like to "underestimate"

Anonymous said...

Ryan...Also. Significant Flash Freeze I am guessing. On US42 a lot of standing water up to 2 inches of puddling in the middle of the road.

Ryan Hoke said...

Yes on the flash freeze... Hasn't been mentioned much, and will definitely happen. On the 5-7 issue, I think there is a slight chance for this. I'm surprised this possibility hasn't been advertised more, but I think it's small at this point.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling tomorrow morning will be worse then this morning was. Too much ICE! I'm almost certain that JCPS will be out on Thursday also if things don't warm up soon.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

Soo..Any new weather systems the GFS is showing for the future...u know the crazy future maps (not this storm).

Ryan Hoke said...

Tomorrow will certainly be worse based on what I'm seeing right now. JCPS looks iffy for Thursday, but temperatures below freezing won't help things. I think we'll have a better handle on that once everything is out of here tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Ryan...This storm is almost over...So do you see anything in the future that could be significant (another storm)

Ryan Hoke said...

A little light snow should be around on Friday and we could get grazed by a more significant storm on Monday. Nothing near the intensity of our current storm is in the works right now.