Friday, August 29, 2008

8/29 - 6pm - Weather Channel Contest, Storms in the Area, Gustav

A couple of months ago I submitted one of my video forecasts to a video contest at the Weather Channel. Recently, I found out that I won the "Most Likely to be a Meteorologist" award for my entry and the results of the other contestants were posted today. Here's a link to the Weather Channel's Stephanie Abrams giving a rundown of all the winners: Click here. To see my contest entry, click here. Main contest page: click here.

Storms have popped up along the cold front coming through the area and are giving us a NICE dose of rain. We've needed it for nearly two weeks now. Most areas in East Louisville have seen rain today, but areas west of I-65 have not had that luxury. These areas might not see rain until late next week. Sunny skies and 90 degree temperatures will prevail for next week.

Hurricane Gustav is showing a little bit of a westward shift in forecast track as updated models come in. Here's the NHC's track:



The spaghetti chart shows the same trend as the NHC's, so I don't need to post that. This is still not looking good for New Orleans, but at least it looks like the eye might veer off to the west of the city. An area from East Texas to the Central Louisiana coast looks like the prime target area for landfall right now, at least until the models change again. Hanna is still churning in the Atlantic as a tropical storm with the potential to briefly become a hurricane before hitting the Bahamas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ryan!