Tuesday, August 5, 2008

8/5 - 8:15pm - Oh I Hope I'm Wrong About This

I'm having flashbacks to last night when a dangerous derecho complex of storms went through Chicago, causing evacuations at O'Hare Airport and Wrigley Field. There's a line of storms in Illinois that's starting to develop and look like the ones that came through Chicago last night. This time we're in the crosshairs.

It's still very early to tell on this, but all other cells in our neck of the woods have dissipated to make way for this line of storms. It's not bowing out yet, but there is a tornado warning out for counties near the center of the line. My radar display here was showing a few rotation signatures, but most of those were probably due to outflow confusing the radar system. If these storms make it this far, they will most likely arrive around midnight. There's a possibility that this line could make a quick dive south once the bowing starts and miss us completely, but I have a suspicion that they won't. Here's what it looks like now:



Since the storms will be coming through after the Severe Thunderstorm Watch expiration, I think that will be extended for us. The SPC made note of that in their mesoscale discussion for the area. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Charles Loring said...

If this system does bow, then it will head right for my area I'm afraid. But as of right now it doesn't look like that will happen. This could very well hamper our storm chances for tomorrow if I'm not mistaken.