Sunday, August 17, 2008

8/17 - 11am - Computer Models Are Confused With TS Fay

I've been checking the spaghetti charts for Tropical Storm Fay for a couple days now and I don't like what I see. Here's the current chart for Tropical Storm Fay:



This is definitely a wider spread of forecast tracks compared to the chart I showed on my forecast yesterday. Obviously the computer models are having a tough time with this storm. An interesting feature to note is that there are two general tracks outlined here, with a gap in the central panhandle of Florida. As I said before, I believe this storm will go west of Florida. Take a look at the historical tracks for storms near Fay's current position and you'll see why:



Notice that Central Florida has remained mostly unscathed by these storms. Most of these storms on the chart have gone east or west of Florida. Obviously this storm could break tradition, but I don't think it will. This sucker could be in the Gulf of Mexico off the West Florida coast on Tuesday if I'm right. The water in there is about 85 degrees and up, so once this storm is out of the area of interference from the islands in the Caribbean it could get stronger. In any case, the western Florida Keys will get clipped, so its good that evacuations have been ordered there. Let's wait and see on the track, it could be a totally different scenario tomorrow.

More uneventful weather will continue around here for this week, with not a drop of rain in sight. Expect highs to top out in the upper 80's to lower 90's for this week.

No comments: