Tuesday, December 8, 2009

12/8 - 11am - Severe Weather in Mississippi

It may be December, but we're talking severe weather today around Starkville. A low pressure system that's giving blizzard-like conditions to areas of Nebraska and Iowa will help spur the development of severe storms around the South. Moist air drawing up from the Gulf of Mexico in the warm sector of this system coupled with high amounts of shear and very fast upper level winds should lead to some supercell thunderstorms this afternoon. There is a tornado and wind threat from this system, and any storm that forms will move very quickly. Instability won't be the best today, but nevertheless I think there is enough for severe weather to get rolling this afternoon. Here's the latest outlook from the SPC:


We're in a SLIGHT Risk today, with a 10% tornado risk from Starkville down to Hattiesburg:


I'm finished with my final exams here at MSU, so I'll be able to track this situation all day today. Keep watch on my Twitter and Facebook updates for further information. If things get extremely active this afternoon, I'll start putting updates on the blog as well. Everyone in Mississippi needs to stay alert today!

I'll be on my way home to Louisville tomorrow for Winter break, so the Mississippi weather updates will be on hiatus until early January.

No comments: