Thursday, March 8, 2007

3/8 - 9:30pm - Storms in the Long Range

I love this new "boring" weather pattern. I haven't needed a heavy coat this week, which is really convenient. It'll just get warmer and warmer this next week after a small weekend cool down with some showers.

Then it will POP!!!

What do I mean by pop? I mean a devil of a storm on the horizon. The SPC hasn't put anything on their 4-8 day long range yet, but I have this feeling that tomorrow or Saturday will yield some forecast alterations.

Thursday of next week will be warm, with highs in the 70's. Just 24 hours later it will be in the low 50's. That spells a storm without even looking at a weather model. Once I looked at the GFS, I was able to finally see a storm threat for this coming up Thursday. The cold air will be pushing so hard that I think we will even have a severe weather outbreak.

This outbreak will be multi-faceted though. The south will be pulling in some major moisture with a low tracking south of Texas. That right there will fuel the southern half of the severe weather threat. The northern half (us included) will not be AS potent, but a diving cold front will push what moisture we will have and make it turbulent. I know that the central Alabama area has had a lot to cope with lately, but luckily it looks like the severe threat will shift this time to the Pensacola/Destin/Ft.Walton Beach Florida area. That won't be good for college spring breakers next week!

So lets talk local now. We are in a threat for Thursday, even though the SPC is quiet about it. The last time we had a real diver of a cold front like this with this kind of temperature variation, it didn't go over well. I do not think we are under fire for any sort of really bad severe weather at this point, but I think some run of the mill hail and high wind will come this way.

There are some other storms coming later on in the next few weeks, but it's too early to really talk about those. Maybe I'll finally get a forecast video out this weekend! I've been so busy that I have just put the videos on the back burner, but I'm getting back in the groove now...

No comments: