Thursday, May 29, 2008

5/29 - 9:30am CDT - HIGH RISK!!!

As we drove along yesterday toward Colby, KS, I was looking at instability and shear models. I got a pretty good idea that we'd be in Central to Eastern Nebraska today. So I went to bed in my humble Super 8 motel room with the pleasant thought that we could have a pretty good day today. Out of curiosity this morning when I woke up, I got on the SPC website, expecting to see a MODERATE risk for today. Instead I got more than I bargained for: a HIGH risk. A HIGH risk is only issued just a handful of times per year. Conditions have to be really ripe for tornadoes and super cells for the SPC to go this far.

Basically the SPC is calling for a super cell festival in Eastern NE and Western IA. We were all very giddy getting into the SUVs this morning and the conversation was lively at McDonald's for breakfast. Whether or not the actual tornadoes manifest is a different story. We're a little concerned that the surface winds are a little too uniformly out of the SE for an outbreak, but it is still very early and there could be a shift to the east later on. Until we see a change in winds, we're going to follow the bulk of the moisture coming into Central Nebraska.

Today could be the day!

2 comments:

Ken H. said...

Yee haa! Go get 'em!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're in South-central Nebraska... If so, I think you're going to see your tornado. 3 hooked-out supercells on radar right now. Have fun!