Tuesday, February 19, 2008

2/19 - 5pm - BIG Bit O' Snow! - Storm Chasing!

We're getting about an inch tonight from this system. That's about all I have to say on that one.

The Friday storm is WAY colder than what I saw yesterday evening. The freezing line is 200 miles south of where it was on the models for early Friday. This is a huge development.

The GFS is giving us snow, with some definite icing going on. The HPC has put us in a slight risk for .25" ice (sound familiar? - last Tues) for Thurs/Fri and the 4 inches of snow risk is just north of here. This will almost surely come south given the current model hoopla.

The NAM model is being weird by swinging around on its guesses, so the NWS isn't using it. It wants a more northerly track with some ice. So I'll call this an ice event until I see otherwise. If the models even hint at going south, I'm calling this a snowstorm.

In the meantime, we're under a SNOW ADVISORY tonight and winter storm watches are being issued for Western KY, not unlike what happened last Tuesday. Expect one of those for us in the next 24-36 hours once this thing starts to get its act together.

On a completely different note, I've been invited to be a guide for Storm Chasing Adventure Tours out in the plains this Spring. This is an awesome opportunity and I'll be able to post pictures and videos right here on my blog while I'm gone. You can go to the company's website at stormchasing.com, where you can even see my picture and bio towards the end of the page.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Ryan, that is so cool! Congratulations!
I didn't know they had professional storm chasing companies. That's really cool. It sounds like a lot of fun.