Monday, May 7, 2007

5/7 - 8:15pm - Not much 'round here lately...

Looks like some 70's and 80's, but not much moisture in the forecast.

Now, the Live Severe Weather Video Coverage feature (found on the right side of this blog in the "Ustream" box) is ready for action when we get severe weather. I should be in town for at least the start and middle of our tornado season. I will miss some of the end of it due to travel, but I'll try to get as much coverage in as possible. I think I may start an e-mail list to send out alert e-mails when I start broadcasting during a severe weather event. That's still in the works though.

I will only broadcast during severe weather (when there's a line of thunderstorms with either hail or tornadoes coming towards Louisville). But since I can see how many viewers I have at a particular time, I will only start broadcasting when I get a viewer or two. Until I get at least one viewer, I'll just stick a live radar image and some scrolling warning information.

Tell your friends about this service, let's make this the biggest deal we can! The more viewers I can get, the more coverage and more features I can put into this. Just remember that this is still just a large experiment and only your local news/NOAA weather radio can provide you with the best information. Remember, they have way better tools than I do and that factor can potentially save a life. I'll try to keep up with the local media and watch them while I'm broadcasting to fill in any holes I miss.

The service I use to get this video broadcast is called Ustream, and is available for free to anyone by logging onto http://Ustream.tv. There is a new version of this service coming out soon so you should see a better quality image and better audio video sync hopefully.

No comments: