Sunday, May 20, 2007

5/20 - 3pm - Cloudless Sky...

I haven't seen a cloud in the sky in days. Oh sure, this makes for some nice sunny weather, but our nighttime temperatures take a hit. Since I live in a small valley where cold air sinks and collects at the bottom at night, we are especially cooler than the inner-city or most suburbs. Since it is cooler where I live, my house gets cold at night, especially clear nights.

So, I want some clouds to insulate the atmosphere so that its warmer at night. This loss of solar heating at night really bugs me, especially when I have to get up super early for school and brave this cold air. Some solid proof of this effect lies in the wintertime. When Louisville is on the verge of the freezing line and it rains downtown, we get snow.

So anyway, we won't see any clouds until we can push this ridge out of here. Not that I'm opposed to a nice ridge in the area, but it's time for some change.

We will be warming things us as the week progresses and will introduce some rain/storm chances by the end of the workweek. Still no sign of any severe weather in the area for the next few days. Even though there are some severe weather chances for early this week in the plains, it won't be as active as its been earlier in the season.

So what do I think? Well, I think we're in a period of transition. We've got a enormous ridge over the southeast thats being very stubborn in its movement. Once we can push this out, then I think severe weather will start popping up somewhere. The air around here is just too stable for anything to happen. If you're looking for severe weather, wait for a week or two and I think we'll start to rev something up around here. The severe weather season last year revved up in late May, so I think we are still waiting for our turn...

No comments: