Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Best GFS model EVER!!!

After a dismal Friday full of GFS model runs, my ship has come into the harbor. This morning, as I showed in the video, the 12z GFS brought back 95% of the snow we were seeing on the models on Thursday. The most recent 18z came in with 120% of what I've seen before:



I nearly had a cow when I saw this. The 540 line is right over Louisville and that blue shade is .5" of moisture (at least 5" snow) within that six hour period. Of course this system has more snow in front and behind that period, but that was the heaviest time. Folks, if this model still looks like this or better on Tuesday, there will be some happy meteorologists in town. On Wednesday night or Thursday afternoon I may have an emergency video if this thing really gets in gear.

Give me 1 or 2 more days and I may start estimating accumulations. I need to let it be seen on the NAM model (4 days out is the furthest it goes), which is super high resolution and way more accurate. If this thing shows itself on the NAM I will have a complete cow.

There is a risk of temperatures being warm still. These storms are notorious for pulling warm air up from Tennessee at the last minute. Although, I'm seeing a little colder temps on this one than the one I messed up on a week ago. Don't get excited yet, I will tell you when you can.

I noticed that the NWS had temps near 40 for us on Thursday. I do not agree with that in the slightest. They base their forecasts off of every consecutive model run, including the buggy ones. I'm still gunning for mid to lower 30's for Thursday. The heaviest stuff is plotted to be on Friday early morning, which should be cold enough, hopefully. $10 says that snow forecasts will be upgraded all around town from all the TV stations and probably the NWS. Remember: This could all change tomorrow.

No comments: