Wednesday, May 27, 2009

5/27 - 4pm - Clearing Out

A slow-moving line of thunderstorms drenched the whole area this afternoon, but these are exiting as we speak and should leave us with a nice evening. We should warm up as this rain passes and the sun will make an appearance, but there's still a chance for more storms overnight.

More scattered storms will be around tomorrow, and I think we'll get hit once again in the afternoon. This should be the last of the rain until the weekend, when we could get a storm or two with a weak disturbance. We could see some spotty storms next week, but they won't be as numerous as they were this week. 80's will stick around for the weekend, with mid to upper 80's next week.

I've been following the GFS for the past couple days in relation to my storm chasing trip coming up and I'm beginning to like what I see. This boring zonal flow (west to east flow) is dampening any severe weather in the Plains at the moment, but the GFS is hinting at major changes in the pattern just in time for my June 6th arrival. The jet stream will dip south sharply into the Western US, which indicates an area of low pressure forming there. As that low moves east during the week, severe weather will be plentiful and tornadoes will likely get going.

The jet stream is forecast to nudge south a bit next week, and look what it prompted the SPC to issue on the 4-8 day outlook:


Pretty colorful, isn't it? I think the end of our summer-like severe weather doldrum in the Plains is approaching fast. Still doesn't look good for severe weather here in Louisville, but hey, I'll have great pictures to post from my trip!

10 days until storm chasing begins!

No comments: