Monday, December 29, 2008

12/29 - 1pm - Now That We're Done With the Spring Preview...

If you like sunshine, you're in luck for the next few days. With high pressure dominating until at least Thursday, clouds should be few and far between. After a brief warm-up to the upper 50s tomorrow, more seasonal temperatures in the 40s will set in. I'd say that looks pretty good for New Year's Eve and Day.

A storm system will come through the area on Thursday night and exit on Friday. The potential for snow is there, but I'm not worried about it yet. Temperatures look a bit high and the amount of moisture present would be hard pressed to generate more than a few snow showers. I'm still waiting for more model runs to make sure that we won't see any more moisture, but I don't think we will.

The long range looks very interesting, with much colder weather and plenty of storms coming through the region. This will definitely be a contrast to the Spring preview we had this weekend. While I can't pinpoint exactly when and where a snowstorm will happen, I think we've at least a chance of one around here over the next two weeks. Hold on to your seats folks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed that the long range models were showing a eastern trough and colder weather. The polar vortex really isn't locked in with the big ridge over Greenland, but the trend is there. I also liked the hints at a split flow. The GFS was hinting at a couple of southern lows along the Gulf Coast. The GFS usually corrects northward with time and as long as the northern jet delivers us enough cold air, I like out chances.
I would have to say our chances of seeing a 3" or better snow in the next two weeks are looking better.
Is is just me, or are we just repeating last winter? Just like we repeated the dry summer and wet spring from '07. Seems our only "normal" season the past couple of years has been fall.

Ryan Hoke said...

Yeah... definitely some similarities between this year and last. I agree with you fully that those Gulf Coast lows will correct northward, that's why I'm pretty optimistic right now!