Tuesday, December 9, 2008

12/9 - 3:45pm - Buckets of Rain!

My rain gauge is reading .91" of rain since midnight and we're not even close to being done yet. The rain has caused many traffic problems on the roadways, especially on the interstates this afternoon. Be careful if you're going out in the next few hours; the roads are wet and visibility is low. As this system exits tomorrow, we could see a little snow or sleet in the morning, so be aware of that.

The GFS is still taking a small area of moisture up through Eastern Kentucky on Thursday with some possible snow to our east. The 12z run is bugging me because it shifted this area slightly west and temperatures will be at or just below freezing during the passage of this moisture. I still think it will be too far east for this to be of any significance to us, but I'll keep my eye on later runs to see if it trends any further west.

After this little system moves through, expect some warming with highs near 50 for this weekend. We'll be even warmer next week, and I think we'll see the cold air build back in sometime before or on Christmas. December has been below normal for temperatures so far, so a week or so of some warm weather will balance this out. Patience snow lovers... we're still a little early for any heavy snow in this part of the country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, ant idea what the low temps in Powell Co. Ky. were 12/4 and 12/5 2008. My buddies and I were camping in the Red River Gorge, and a debate has sprung up as to which night was coldest.
Chris Cox
Russell, Ky.

Ryan Hoke said...

Hey Chris,

It was 23 degrees for a low on the 4th and 14 degrees for a low on the 5th. This data came from Mount Sterling, KY, which was the closest I could find.

Hope that helps!