Tuesday, September 4, 2007

9/4 - 5pm - Oh Give Me A Break!

This headline on Yahoo! News really bugged me:

Oil hits $75 as hurricane fears brew

It's so dumb that a forecast could make oil prices jump like that. Now I could understand if a refinery or platform was hit by a hurricane and oil prices went up then. But for a pretty lofty forecast to make a commodity jump like that is just unacceptable. The chances of a particular company's oil facilities to be hit by a storm are fairly low given statistics, so I really don't get this. Imagine what'll happen to oil prices if a hurricane slams into the US. But I don't know, I'm not an energy expert. Now my editorial comments are out of my system.

Hurricane Felix hit Nicaragua as a Category 5 storm this morning. One could only imagine the horrible destruction that it caused. Not much news out of there right now, which is understandable given the situation. Whew, two Cat 5's in a season is just too much. I do think we broke a record for the most Cat 5 landfalls in a season this year.

It's still very active out there now. There's a non-tropical low just off Florida's east coast that could develop over the next day or so. I see it as becoming a tropical storm that could make landfall in the Carolinas. We'll see if this happens.

The heat keeps building here. As of 5pm we were at 97 in the city and 95 in the suburbs. We're almost out of the woods though! This weekend we could get some appreciable rain that will extinguish our 90's for hopefully the rest of the year. I'm a little concerned that we could see some severe weather on Friday, but we're still a little far out on that one. It would make sense to have a little bit of severe weather because of the noticeable temperature difference between the two air masses that will be involved with this front. So we'll see about that...


No comments: