Sunday, April 26, 2009

4/26 - 9pm - Tom Wills Retiring at WAVE-TV

After 40 years at WAVE-TV, meteorologist Tom Wills has officially announced his retirement. While it won't happen until June, Mr. Wills will be missed in both the meteorology community and within Louisville as a whole. Luckily, he might come back to the station once in a while to do fill-in work.

I met him once at the Louisville Regional Science Fair back in 2004. I had my seventh grade science fair project on the Doppler Effect and Tom Wills was one of the judges in the earth sciences category. He was a real approachable guy and said not one bad word about my project, even though it was in the wrong category (I needed to be in physics) as I later found out.

40 years is a long time to be working at any one place, especially in the broadcast business. I'll miss his good cheer on 84 WHAS in the mornings when I'm up early for school, but hey, he doesn't have to wake up at 2:30AM anymore! To read the full article that ran in yesterday's Courier-Journal, click here. To read Kevin Harned's blog entry on Wills' retirement, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Mr. Wills is a wonderfully kind person. My brother worked at a store Tom shopped at and spoke several times about how nice he was to the people who worked there. Not everyone is that thoughtful to others; his kindness is very appreciated. I wish we had more people like him.

I am old enough to remember when he first began at WAVE--the station was very excited to have a young weatherman; it's been reassuring to have such a fine person on local tv.