Wednesday, February 11, 2009

2/11 - 5:45pm - Batten Down the Hatches!!!

We just clocked winds of 43mph here at my house, with numerous reports of 70mph+ just west of town. My power is flickering off and on like many in the city, so I'll keep this short.

We didn't get a terribly bad round of storms this afternoon, but areas to our south weren't so lucky. Our winds here tonight will be downright heavy as the pressure gradient tightens and the area of low pressure passes to our northeast. I wouldn't be surprised to see wind gusts of 70-80mph before 9pm tonight, then it should die down. As far as a comparison to the wind storm in September, it's not as bad as that storm right now. I'm worried that we could equal that storm though if winds from aloft mix down to the surface later this evening. Either way, we have numerous reports of wind damage and power flickering (if not out already) around the area. All I have to say is be prepared to be without power, because that could happen tonight for many.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe not "Ike", but pretty darn close. Just saw a piece of siding fly down the street!

Anonymous said...

any schools without power at this time? will jcps make a decision reguarging classes in the morning?

Ryan Hoke said...

I've heard of only Manual being without power, but there may be more with 37,000 LG&E customers without power right now. I think JCPS will be in session tomorrow, but be sure to check before you head out the door.