Friday, April 18, 2008

4/18 - 5:30pm - Earthquake!

I've never felt an earthquake before. That was until this morning when I was shaken out of bed by a 5.2 magnitude rumbler from Illinois. It lasted for about 15-20 seconds and broke a model airplane on my desk in my room. It started very gently and ramped up until my windows were vibrating pretty good. At first I was afraid that the New Madrid fault had finally roared to life and left Memphis in ruins. Luckily it was just a moderate quake out in Illinois, one that could be felt even in Ohio! At 11:14am, as I was going to lunch at school, a 4.6 magnitude aftershock came through. We thought it was a train that was going by the school at the time, but after a while it was pretty evident that it was another quake.

Click here for a video of the quake live on WAVE3 during a morning newscast.


I can't forecast earthquakes folks, but that was sure interesting! Our weather will get a little interesting as showers and thunderstorms (not severe) roll through here tonight through tomorrow night. We'll clear out on Sunday and Monday with temperatures back in the 70's with more rain mid week. The coolest day this week is Saturday in the lower 60's; The rest of the week will be in the 70's!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de VĂ­deo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.